Tuesday 20 August 2013

Chocolate Oaties

This week we did two lots of baking, on Monday we did the apricot & coconut cake as an actual cake rather than cake pops, which didn't last two days thanks to visitors on Tuesday morning (I've updated the blog post with a photo of the proper cake)! Therefore on Tuesday afternoon when my little one asked about baking we decided to make some cookies. I did think about trying my egg free cheesecake recipe, but I would like to try that unwatched/ unhelped first! As we had some left over oats from a past recipe so I decided to use them for our baking. My little one loved the melted chocolate stage, and everyone was a big fan of the final product.

Ingredients
  • 125g soft brown sugar
  • 125g butter
  • 125g self raising flour
  • 125g rolled oats
  • 50g raisins (optional)
  • 1 tbl spoon golden syrup
  • 100g chocolate
  • 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
Methodology
Biscuits
  • Preheat oven to 165C (fan assisted)
  • Measure butter and syrup into a saucepan & stick on a low heat
  • Add self raising flour, oats, raisins, bicarbonate of soda & sugar into a big bowl and give to little one to mix while you continue to melt the butter and syrup together.
  • Once the wet ingredients are melted and mixed, add to the dry ingredients and mix with a spoon.
  • Get out two baking trays (I used non stick)
  • Roll into balls slightly smaller than golf balls (my mix made 14 cookies)
  • Put on tray & lightly press down
  • Cook for 15 mins, until golden brown
  • Leave in tray for 3 mins to 'set'
  • Put on cooling tray to cool.
Chocolate Topping
  • Melt the chocolate on a low heat (I've got induction, a 1 or 2 works best, I also used the saucepan from melting the butter & syrup together as butter gives chocolate a nice sheen, this did not work too much but did save on washing up!)
  • Once melted I let my toddler lick the spoon while I painted the biscuits
  • Using a pastry brush paint half the cookies with chocolate. 
  • Put back on the cooling tray. 

The final produce waiting to set

Update 01/07/2016: I've just done this again, added 40g chopped cashew nuts, 40g chopped dry dates and a mashed banana. This meant adding more flour and oats. Did this ad hoc during the mixing stage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment