Tuesday 7 May 2013

Pancakes


I found this recipe on the blog  ArtofDessert  I have made these for Pancake day both this year and last. This years were more successful. Experience I guess, as I had a trial run the week before. I made these for Andrews birthday tea (which nicely fit with Ewans baking day!)

Ingredients  
  • 2 cups plain flour  
  • 1/4 cup sugar  
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder  
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt  
  • 2 cups milk 
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil 
  •  1/4 cup orange juice  
  • 1/4 cup melted Trex (or other butter substitute)
Method
  • Sift together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.  
  • In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, oil and orange juice. 
  • Slowly add in the melted Trex.  
  • Add the dry ingredients while whisking the wet ingredients (I whisked while lo added them cup by cup)
  • Heat the pan very hot with some oil in the pan, once the pancakes have started cooking I set the temp to 6 on the hob (ours goes up to 9)
  • Pour about 1/2 cup of batter into pan, (the recipe says make sure they are quite thick but I found it was ok to make them thin)
  • Cook until you see bubbles rise to the surface & have popped all over, it should be dry around the edges, then flip over to cook the other side until lightly browned.
Notes
This batter tends to bubble up and thicken due to the baking powder, so ideally use straight away. I left mine in the fridge for around 30mins to go on a bike ride and although the recipe says you can gently stir it to break down some of the bubbles to bring it back to a pourable consistency I ended up having to add more milk.

The first time I did this I didn't use orange juice but 1 tsp vinegar & water.


Straight after adding the ingredients together

No comments:

Post a Comment