Tuesday 30 April 2013

Peanut butter cookies

Today we broke free of the pop cake maker to try out a new cookie recipe. This is one I have modified from a cookbook, replacing the egg with flaxseed. My little one wasn't too sure with the first cookie he tried, but soon decided they were "tasty" as he asked for more and more. This makes 16 cookies.
The final product, the ones bottom left are the ones out of the oven after 10mins


Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp flaxseed
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 & 1/3 cups plain flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
Method
  • Preheat oven to 220C
  • Cream together the peanut butter & butter until light and fluffy
  • Beat in sugar
  • In a small bowl mix the water and flaxseed toget to make a glutinous paste
  • Beat in flaxseed mix & vanilla extract to mix - this makes the cookie batter
  • Sift together the flour, baking powder & baking soda
  • Slowly add the flour mix to the batter mix (mixing slowly) until just combined
  • Shape into one inch balls two inches apart on a plain baking tray
    The balls ready to go in the oven
  • Cook for 10 / 12 mins (until brown on edges).
  • Put on cooling rack
Notes
I had to help the biscuit 'spread' with a fork in the oven as they cooked as they weren't doing it on their own, I did this after 5 mins. However I think they normally would spread on their own. I cooked these without the use of an electric mixer, allowing my son to do the mixing & adding of ingredients. This meant that the mixing was a bit hit and miss, and we had a small hiccup with the baking soda, he added too much (as in he tipped the entire packet in!) and it is possible I took too much out. He also tipped all the flour straight into the batter, which made it harder to combine and the mix ended up crumbly. I finished it off by almost kneading it together with my hands.
 I left my cookies in for 12 mins as thought they were too crumbly at 10 mins, I kept that batch out and just moved them a bit on the tray & then left them on the tray for a little bit before moving them, they held together ok after they cooled.

No comments:

Post a Comment