Wednesday 24 April 2013

Banana cake (in Pop Cake Maker)

Well I was going to make this as a proper cake that can be cut up, however it looks like the pop cake idea is popular with my other half as well as my little one, so once again the pop cake maker was put into action. Once again I enrolled my 2 year old to help with the mixing & mashing!

This recipe made 21 balls.
Ingredients
  • 1 & a half medium bananas
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 100g butter
  • 45g light muscovado sugar
  • 45g dark brown soft sugar
  • 1 tbs ground flaxseed
  • 3 tbs water
  • 125g self raising flour (I used 50/50 plain & wholemeal)
  • Small bag chopped walnuts (optional)

Method
  • Mix together the flaxseed & water until the mix goes gelatinous.
  • Mash together the banana, flaxseed mix & vanilla extract
  • Cream together the butter & sugar
  • Add the banana mix & walnuts
  • Slowly add the flour. (The mix should be firm - as the picture)
  • Add to cake pop maker, fill over the edge by a little bit
  • Cook for just under 5 mins 
Notes
The mix just before it went
into the pop cake maker
With the first batch I didn't fill the maker properly, and I didn't cook quite long enough (4 mins) so they were a bit pale & misshapen (oh and raw inside!).
The final 9 balls that I slightly over cooked

The second batch I slightly over cooked (5 mins 30), as you can see.

My little man didn't like the bigger pieces of walnut from my rough chopping of the walnut halves that I bought, so the second batch involved me breaking the pieces up some more with a fork in the mix! It turns out not enough - he still wasn't happy with "the bits" and in fact I noticed after that his arms were red...walnut allergy?? Next time I will split the mix so he can have some walnut free ones.

These were again chrispy on outside but lovely on inside. As I say think I over cooked them the second time. However they did taste lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment