Friday 12 April 2013

Cooking Cheese Scones (in Pop Cake Maker)

Recently my mum got my son (2 and a half) a pop cake maker (from Gourmet Gadgetry) for Easter, as he is a real fan of baking, which we do once a week. I have been scouting around for egg free recipes for him to try (he was diagnosed allergic at 1). This one, http://britishfood.about.com/od/adrecipes/r/Cheese-Scones-Recipe.htm,  was one I had used before to make scones, but they were a bit hit and miss on rising as I let my lo cut the scones. The recipe was simple enough for me to follow with a 2 year old jumping up and down asking to do it all himself! In fact, this time I let him do a lot more of the mixing & pouring after I did the measuring out than last time. It was good, as I didn't have to worry about the rolling out and cutting bit which caused my last batch to rise unevenly but I also knew it was tasty!

This recipe created 30 scone balls, I have replicated it here. This went very well, normally he will help do the baking but only helps with the eating if it involves chocolate! These he wolfed down, although he only really liked them the first day.

Ingredients
  • 225g self raising flour
  • 55g stick cold butter, cut into small cubes
  • 1 level tsp baking powder
  • 1 cup grated cheese (make sure it has a good strong flavour - mild leaves them a bit too 'tasteless')
  • 1/2 tsp mustard powder
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 150 ml milk (you might not need all of this)
Steps
  1. Add together all the dry ingredients (flour, mustard, baking powder)
  2. Rub in the butter (I let my little one do this, telling him to tickle the butter into the flour)
  3. Mix in the cheese
  4. Make a well in the middle
  5. Stir in the milk making sure mixture doesn't get too wet
  6. When pop cake maker has reached temp use two teaspoons to fill in the holes, I used just enough to come over the bottom hole (leaving room for them to rise) - about a teaspoon and a bit
  7. Leave for 5 mins
  8. Put on wire rack to cool
  9. Done!
These are lovely on the day, but will go a bit soft if left for a day before eaten (if they last that long)!

I am wondering whether to try and fridge/ freeze half the mixture before cooking so we can have them fresh through the week.


No comments:

Post a Comment