Ingredients(I didn't go diary free, just egg free)
- 160ml Milk
- 1/2 tbsp. Vanilla Essence
- 85g Butter
- 2 tbsp. Golden Syrup
- 300g Self Raising Flour
- 1 tsp Bicarbonate Soda
- 35g Cocoa Powder
- 125g Caster Sugar
- Handful of raspberries
If you don't go down the raspberry route, and want a plain chocolate cake in a round 9 inch tin...
- 1 small tub of cherry yoghurt (I used a soya yoghurt which was lush)
- 1 large beetroot (the cooked, vacuum packed version)
Add both these to the milk and liquidise (then add the bicarb of soda). Mix in as much liquid as you need.
- Grease the tin with some butter, I would recommend that you use some greaseproof paper in the bottom too (I didn't and the cake/raspberries did stick a little to the bottom, so I had to scrap it out and spread it back over the base of the cake)
- Pre heat oven to 190C/ 170C (fan assisted)
- Mix together the milk and the bicarbonate of soda in a cup
- Mix together the flour and cocoa powder in a "dry bowl"
- Cream together the butter, sugar, syrup and vanilla essence "wet bowl" (big bowl)
- Slowly add some of the milk mixture and dry bowl mixture into the wet bowl, continuously mixing. (Little chap helped add these, I would then stir, he would add more etc)
- Once you have a smooth, but slightly stiff mixture you are ready to put in the tin
- Take a handful of raspberries and layer them at the bottom of the tin, then add mixture on top. Smooth the mixture out as otherwise the cake will be "lumpy" on top as it rises.
- I would be tempted to try the raspberries on the top of the cake next time, or even all through the mixture. The raspberries helped with the moisture of the cake.
- This was very nice with ice cream and extra raspberries.
- The cupcakes took around 15 mins
- The cake took around 45 mins
- The raspberry free round (9inch) cake took around 40 mins. Just keep checking it!